This vile fundraising text-message did not come from some fringe group. It came from the National Republican Congressional Committee.
Let’s count just a few of the ways in which this is disgusting:
- It misuses the term “traitor” to suggest that not supporting a politician can ever be treason.
- It implicitly identifies fealty with The Leader with loyalty to the United States.
- It suggests that it is unpatriotic to fail to support a man who
- encouraged a seditionist mob to storm the Capitol of the United States in order to prevent the certification of an election he had lost and
- tried to subvert the Justice Department to undermine the election result
- when in fact the reverse is true: supporting the seditionist is what is unpatriotic.
- It says those who don’t send the NRCC money right now will be “branded a deserter”. And creates a totally bogus 17 minute deadline to fork over.
- Appeals like this work.
I knew House Republicans had gone pretty far over to the Dark Side, but this…