My e-mail account at work, to which all other email is funneled, is very seriously messed up.
1. A student tells me she's been 'e-mailing me all semester' and justifiably complains that I didn't answer. I try to answer student email as top priority, but have no recollection of any of the email. Nor is any of it in my extensive saved mail file.
2. An invitation to a major conference I'd really like to go to was e-mailed to me several weeks ago, I never got it, and they assumed I was not interested. I heard about it by accident yesterday.
3. Today, email both to and from me is taking random numbers of extra hours to turn up, sometimes in double digits. If it does turn up.
● Numbers one and two may be due to my roll-your-own procmail spam filters. But I'm getting well over a thousand spams a day and have to do something. I've asked the law school to upgrade the Unix box to a version of Perl that's less than four years old so I can install something like Spam Assassin, and they are working on it. No ETA, and if experience is any guide they'll roll it out about a week before (or after) it's obsolete.
● Number three, the random delays, is new. Here is a fragment from a sample header:
Received: from spitfire.law.miami.edu (localhost [127.0.0.1])
by spitfire.law.miami.edu (Postfix) with ESMTP id D9F065C7118
; Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:01:02 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from smarty.dreamhost.com (smarty.dreamhost.com [220.127.116.11])
by spitfire.law.miami.edu (Postfix) with ESMTP id CB0005CA84D
; Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:48:43 -0400 (EDT)
How can there be a ten hour gap between receipt and delivery on the same machine??? Update: the school sent around a voice mail message which says we're being subjected to “a targeted spam attack” which I take to mean a DDOS attack.
● I may need to find a new, commercial email host or change to gmail.
● WHAT ELSE HAVE I BEEN MISSING?????
● And last but not least, how come no one picks up the phone anymore if e-mail isn't being answered?