For various reasons it doesn't seem worth updating to the new versions of MT that have been released recently. The stuff I've read suggests that the changes are either unnecessary for folks like me who have installed agressive (very agressive) comment spam filtering, or downright trouble. So I think I'll wait for version 3.0 before doing anything major like that.
So, instead, I've been toying around with some of the templates for the blog. I added a link to the RSS 2.0 feed and some new silly statistics. I did some cleaning up here and there. Soon I'll maybe change the way that links are displayed, perhaps highlight the background when moused over.
It would be good programming practice to have a test blog somewhere to do all this to rather than doing the experimenting on a live site. I do know that. But I'm ignoring it. So if anything seems weird in the next day or so, give it five minutes and see if it goes away. If it doesn't, please drop me a note. And, of course, if you have suggestions for the blog—layout, content, whatever, feel free to comment on this entry, or write me privately.
Traffic has shot up in the past weeks—I'm averaging more than 400 unique visitors a day to the front page on even the slowest weekdays, with much less on weekends (when I usually also post less). There have been some traffic spikes. I've also had a few blog items linked to by high-traffic blogs, but if I'm reading the logs right, a surprisingly low percentage of those readers have gone on to explore the main page. They bop in, they bop out. The counter on this page never sees them…bottom line is that because I'm using primitive and free counter tools, I'm not entirely clear on what the true traffic figures are. But whatever they are, they're up. Welcome all. Try the archives.