I've 'suspended' Friday McCain Bashing for the duration of the Emergency. I hope that makes it more popular.
- Political Animal, What on earth is John McCain doing?
- Robert's Stochastic thoughts, Why the debate format is unfair to John McCain
- Jeffrey Toobin: Ummm, can we please stop saying McCain suspended his campaign already?
- TPM, More Fibbin'?
- TPM, Annals of Suspension
- TalkLeft, McCain's Desperate Gamble
- Informed Comment, Palin's Russian Roulette
- Dave Hoffman, Concurring Opinions, John McCain's Unworkable Plan to Deregulate and Insure Our Way Out of the Crisis
- tristero, Hullabaloo, points us to this great video on McCain's role in the Keating Five
- Sandy Levinson, Thoughts on John McCain as our constitutional dictator
- Crooks & Liars, McCain’s Still Lying About Rick Davis And His Lobbyist Activities
- Kevin Drum, Sarah Palin Unplugged. And see the video
- Andrew Sullivan on the Palin video, Epic Fail
- TPM, I Don't Know Much About Geography
- Glen Greenwald, Correction on Sarah Palin
- Political Animal, Still not ready for primetime
- McCain choreographs stunt: first torpedo any deal, then “save” it.
- ThinkProgress, Bailout Deal Appears To Fall Apart After McCain And House GOP Push Surprise Alternate Proposal
- TPM, Strange Days
- Kevin Drum, All the World's a Game
- DeLong, John McCain Undermines Henry Paulson
- NYT, Adam Nagourney & Elisabeth Bumiller, McCain’s Peril in Wading In
- Politico, Wild White House meeting sets back deal
- TalkLeft, McCain's Plan To Break The Deal: Less Regulation, Accountability and Protection
- TPM, Toobin: Gullible Media Falling for McCain's “Suspension” Ruse
- dday, Warrior Negotiator
- Krugman, Madness on Pennsylvania Avenue
- Crooks & Liars, As Predicted: Tucker Bounds tries to say that McCain is responsible for breaking the bailout stalemate
- Crooks & Liars, BREAKING — Barney Frank: God save us from John McCain’s “help”
- TalkLeft, Palin Attacks Obama, Gets Kissinger's Position Wrong
- Slate, First Palin, Then Campaign Suspension. What Now? Slate predicts McCain's next 10 Hail Mary stunts.
- Ari Melbur, Politico, Is McCain concealing medical records?
- ThinkProgress, FLASHBACK: In 2007, McCain Parachuted In 'On The Last Day' For Immigration Debate
- Politico, Suspension in Name Only
- Kos, What Part of McCain's Campaign Has Been Suspended?
- Raising Kaine, Campaigning in VA
- TPM, Campaigning on TV
- ABC News, Palin campaigns in NY
- Campaign Silo, if it’s Thursday, this must not be DC
- ABC News Blog, McCain Campaign Staffer to Attend White House Meeting
- HuffPo, McCain Campaign Still Active Across The Country
- Florida, The Buzz, Negative McCain ad still airing in FL
- Missouri, McCain Campaign Suspended… Or Not??
- Colorado, Still in business
- Politico, McCain to do round of network interviews
- Political Animal, What does a 'suspended' campaign look like?
- TPM, Annals of Suspension (Lying McCain Watch …)
- Crooks & Liars, is McCain’s campaign really suspended? Hardly with UPDATES
- Jonah Gelbach, Prawfsblog, Pretend Suspend
- TalkLeft, McCain Working Hard In DC … Um At The Clinton Initiative In NYC
- Anonymous Liberal, The Anonymous Liberal: Was McCain's Stunt an Attempt at Palin Damage Control?
- Watch As Katie Couric Asks Sarah Palin Question Three Times—-And She Still Can't Answer It
- NYT Blog, The Opinionator: McCain Fatigue, and a Painful Palin
- Palin won't reveal her finances until after debate (AP)
- Kos, John McCain's Latest Lie Gets Worse
- Jesse Lee, HuffPo, 40 Days Out: From the Fundamentals are Strong to a Great Depression in Less Than Two Weeks
- Rolling Stone, The Truth About Sarah Palin
- Kos, McCain Avoiding The Debate? It's Happened Before
- Senator Boxer: McCain Crawling into Corner with Blanket
- Political Animal, Palin's unique spin on the bailout
- Crooks & Liars, Is McCain ducking the debate because the 'economy' will be included?
- Political Animal, Legislative passivity
- Political Animal, What kind of game is McCain playing?
- John Scalzi, John McCain, Candidate for President of WTFistan
- Political Animal, A candidate with an impulse problem
- David Weinberg, Joho the Blog, Is McCain looking for his 9-11 moment? Some cheap, armchair psychologizing…
- Obama Ad, A Stronger Economy
- Informed Comment, McCain Rushes Campaign to Nowhere
- Kos, Bad news for McCain from our friends at Fox
- James Fallows, Atlantic, Worst self-inflicted campaign move ever?
- Kos, Thanks in part to Palin, McCain now much worse among white women
- Firedoglake, LEAKED VIDEO: McCain Blows Off Letterman For Katie Couric
- Kos, Gimme The Money, Or The Debate Gets It!
- From Florida Speaks
- Kevin Drum, Stunt Fatigue
- Crooks & Liars, Jack Cafferty: Why is McCain running away from the debate?
- Political Animal, Quick! Hide Sarah Palin!
- Crooks & Liars, Biden: McCain “dangerously wrong” on foreign policy
- DeLong, Senator Durbin on John McCain
- NPR, McCain's Temperament Shaped By Vietnam, Senate (“”He could go off like a rocket launcher and spew profanity at somebody who crossed him or he thought was crossing him,”)
- Mark Nicholas, National Enquirer Finally Reveals Names In Alleged Sarah Palin Affair
- HuffPo, Our Troops Don't Get a Time-Out for the Financial Crisis
- Talk2Action tells us about Palin's Preacher Problem; see also Max Blumenthal, Witch-fighter anoints Palin
- [Thurs] Catholic League's Bill Donohue Defends Palin Because Witchcraft is Real
- Orcinus, Pastor Muthee: A witchhunter, all right
- Political Animal, Palin's Pentecostal witch hunter
- Washington Post breaks the Haircut 2008 story: McCain's $5500+ makeup bill.
- Crooks & Liars, Paula Abdul, Lisa Rinna and JOHN MCCAIN??? John McCain’s Extreme Self Makeover
- South Florida Daily Blog, Hypocrites R Us
- This one doesn't deserve to get lost in the clutter — Donald Craig Mitchell, Alaska Dispatch, How Alaska's AG defied the public’s interest to cover for Palin in Troopergate
- HuffPo, Campbell Brown Rips McCain Camp's “Sexist” Treatment Of Palin
- Obama Ad (aimed straight at Michigan), Foreign Vehicles
- DownWithTyranny, Humane Society Makes It's First Presidential Endorsement Ever— Vote No On Palin
- DemFromCT, Kos, McCain Panics When He's Losing
- Political Animal, McCain behind on his reading
- Crooks & Liars, McCain nailed on “golden parachute” hypocrisy again
- Crooks & Liars, George Will: John McCain is losing his head
- Kos, The Palins need to seek counseling.
- NYT, McCain Aide’s Firm Was Paid by Freddie Mac – “The disclosure contradicts a statement by Senator McCain that the campaign manager, Rick Davis, had no involvement with the company for the last several years.”
- Lessig, On Palin's “experience”
- Kos, CO-Pres: Palin drags McCain down
- TalkLeft, Politics Palin Style: Woo Them, Then Leave Them
- Political Animal, A perfectly good fishing expedition gone to waste
- ThinkProgress, EXCLUSIVE: Maliki Suggests Bush Pushed To Extend U.S. Presence In Iraq To Help McCain
- Crooks & Liars, Maliki: Bush Pushed For Later Withdrawal Date To Help McCain
- Political Animal, Grace under pressure
- Politico, McCain camp criticism rife with errors
- HuffPo, McCain Was For The NYT Before He Was Against It
- Obama Ad, Article
- Crooks & Liars, New ad denounces John McCain’s fraudulent Spanish ad against Obama
- George Will via YouTube: 'John McCain showed his personality this week, and it made some of us fearful'
- Crooks & Liars, “This Week” Roundtable Consensus: McCain is clueless on the economy
- Kos, Three Times is Enemy Action
- ABC News, Exclusive: New Doubts Over Palin's Troopergate Claims
Internal Government Document Contradicts Sarah Palin, Campaign
- Some McCain clips from John McCain Tracking Video
- 'McCain Mix-Up':Calls For Resignation of Chairman of ‘FEC’ Instead of 'SEC'
- McCain ‘I Would Fire’ SEC Chairman
- McCain Accuses Regulators Of 'Being Asleep At The Switch'
- Hypocrite McCain Suggests Obama Improper For Using Fannie CEO To Head His VP Selection
- Palin: Obama ‘Likes To Point The Finger Of Blame, But Has He Ever Really Lifted A Finger To Help?’
- 'McCain v. McCain On Equal Pay':‘If Necessary We'll Take Them [Discriminators] To Court'
- 'Palin Attempts To Counter Perceived Lack Of FoPo Experience':‘If You Want Specifics… You Can Play Stump The Candidate'
- 'McCain Wants To Leave Americans On Their Own To Pay For Health Care':'Let's Put Cash In The Hands Of People And Let Them Make The Decisions'
- Bodysnatched McCain Promises ‘Comprehensive Regulations, Laments 'Casual Oversight' Of Wall Street
- McCain Says He Supports Mountaintop Coal Mining, 'An Ecological Disaster'
- In Midst Of Lehman Bailout, McCain Insists 'The Fundamentals Of Our Economy Are Strong'
- McCain Flops Following Lehman Bailout: 'The Fundamentals Of Our Economy Are At Risk'
- ThinkProgress, Palin Refuses To Say Whether She Would Be Part Of Executive Branch
- Introducing John McCain…
- Guardian (UK), US election: Doctors call on McCain to release details of bout with skin cancer
- Political Animal, Todd Palin to ignore subpoena in troopergate probe
- HuffPo, New McCain Attacks Echo Rove Advice
- Swopa, Firedoglake, John McCain Regrets Letting Steve Schmidt Destroy His Chances of Winning the White House
- Emergent Chaos, This Week in Petard-Hoisting, the Palin Edition
- Political Animal, Country First
- AFL-CIO NOW Blog, Trumka: Obama Strong on Guns, Conservation Issues
- Crooks & Liars, Stephen Colbert Gives John McCain the “McCain Treatment”
- Political Animal, About that pay cut….
- DeLong, John McCain Is Dishonest and Dishonorable (Real Estate Lobbying Edition)
- AFL-CIO NOW Blog, Obama’s Economic Plans Would Benefit America’s Workers
- Political Animal, Obama: McCain 'panicked'. Cf. Barack Obama Fires Back Against McCain's 'Sad' Attacks
- Kevin Drum, The Decline and Fall of Sarah Palin
- TalkLeft, Women for Change Find It In Obama, Not McCain
- Political Animal, 'Incurious about the mechanism of government'
- Orcinus, Is Sarah Palin a closet John Bircher?
- Kos, McCain's immigration dilemma
Some of your McCain bashing this week —especially Thursday’s— discounts the unpopularity of the bailout.
First, pretty much everyone outside the administration took the original Paulson plan as “A $700 billion slap in the face”. The first news the nation heard about the bailout was unfavorable. No one liked it. But then, some members of the ruling class worked out some kind of compromise. According to Robert Reich:
But, while the elites may have bought into the compromise, Bush’s speech Wednesday night didn’t sell it to the nation. The new plan wasn’t even really sold to the rank-and-file among the legislators. From Milwaukee, we read in the Journal-Sentinel, “State lawmakers wary of Bush proposal”:
And further south, “Some from Tennessee have big concerns about bailout plan”. According to Rep. Zach Wamp, R-Tenn:
That 10-1 ratio probably isn’t representative. Reports from other legislators’ offices say thousands of calls against, and at most one or two in favor.
So, the story that McCain flew into Washington and bombed the deal plays pretty well. “McCain blamed as US economic rescue deal staggers”: sounds like a victory for the populists:
But those “Top Democrats” haven’t sold the nation on the idea that the deal is worth doing. “Sabotage” can be heroic resistance.
Viva the revolution!