My NEC 515 cell phone has started to exhibit random erratic behavior. Sometimes when it’s on, it fails to connect to a network; people call me and I don’t get a call or a message or even a “missed call” notice. Sometimes when I want to make a call the phone book is unavailable – it’s “sorting” endlessly. Sometimes it starts beeping at me that the SIM card is unavailable. None of this is good.
I’m somewhat locked into Cingular as a carrier, because most others don’t seem to have a signal that can be received inside my house, and we have a family plan too.
So all of a sudden I need a new GSM phone. Here’s the wish list:
- I’m pretty used to flip phones, and like the idea of a phone that won’t accidentally call someone in my pocket.
- I have a preference for quadband ‘world phones’ that can work anywhere. Failing that, I’d at least like one that works in Europe too.
- I need an unlocked phone
- And here’s the tough one: I’d like a phone that speaks to my PC, one that would let me upload and download numbers, ringtones and maybe even photos without having to pay the insane rates charged by Cingular
On the other hand, I don’t need some features that are heavily promoted:
- I don’t care if it plays electronic games; I don’t
- I don’t use my phone for Internet access.
- I don’t particularly need much in the way of additional features like calendars and the like
- All other things being equal, a camera might be fun, but it is not essential
If any readers have advice or pointers, especially about the connecting-to-the-PC part, I’d be most grateful.