The site was down for several hours this evening as the apache server decided to go on strike. Dreamhost Support reports it “had a bad user” and fixed it. I hope that's not a moral judgement.
Meanwhile I had a tour through my http logs, always a fun way to spend time, and noticed many entries of the form
junk after document element at line 2, column 0
I have no idea what that means.
Plus I found substantial evidence that a machine hosted at Brown has been trying to hack in here. And failing. But I sent a note with a log extract to the tech contact for the IP number on the off chance it might do some good.