- Participants in the comments are kindly requested to be civil, and at least vaguely on-topic.
- I will delete (or disemvowel) comments that are duplicative, commercial, needlessly foul or mean or otherwise inappropriately offensive.
- Instead of deleting a post, I may disemvowel the URL to commercial sites even if a post is arguably on-topic when I believe the poster is engaged in a pattern of linking to different commercial sites under false names, or even to a single site under multiple names or linked terms.
- I will use blocking software to block links to sites using words or strings commonly associated with commercially oriented blog posts or references.
- I will ban the IP number of any poster who serially violates this policy.
- My decisions are final. I’m happy to discuss them by email.
- I’ll amend this policy as I gain experience.
- In the long run, it remains to be seen if comments is a workable commons or not. I will not have my work be used as billboard for your ads (at least, not without a cut, and this is a resolutely non-commercial activity). I’m prepared to turn off comments if vigilance proves too time-consuming.
Version 1.3 April 29, 2009.