One of the things I'm fairly squeamish about is comparisons of contemporary figures to Hitler. I do not go as far as those who say that this genocide was unique and superlatively horrible; Cambodia, 'ethnic cleansing', Rwanda, the 20th century has examples of horrors, each different in meaningful ways, each horrible.
Nevertheless, I am highly predisposed to dislike and distrust a statement like this one: “ Rush Limbaugh is as mainstream in America as Hitler was mainstream in Germany, circa 1932.” Trouble is, Digby got evidence, drawn from Day One of David Brock's new site Media Matters for America.
It ain't pretty.
If there is any decency around, then decent people are going to run away from Limbaugh, despite the TLC they may wish to give this slightly repentant drug abuser.
- Limbaugh suggests that feminists are into bestiality with dogs
- “What's good for terrorists is good for John Kerry”
- “if you want the terrorists running the show, then you will elect John Kerry”
- “[Speaking about Democrats] I don't know who they are, I don't know what they believe, but I can't relate. I can't possibly understand somebody who hates this country, who was born and raised here. I don't understand how you hate this Constitution. I don't understand how you hate freedom”
- “These people have become the mainstream thought — thinkers, generators of the Democratic Party. It's who they are. They hate this country. They hate the military of this country.”
(there's quite a bit more where that came from).
Do decent liberals run from Bill Clinton, the slightly repentant adulteror/liar? What about the similarity between Hillary’s paranoia of a right wing conspiracy and Hitler’s paranoia of the Jews? What about John Kerry’s wife with the german last name, “Heinz”? I think you’ve blown the lid off something big here….
If you think those comments are in some way even close to relating to Hitler then you are not as smart as I thought Prof. Froomkin. The comparison does no justice. Saying someone is wrong is one thing. Comparing him to someone who was a mass murderer is another. Do you think Democrats hate America? Or is their representation of America just skewed from what conservatives think? Perhaps that is the comparison being made, I figured you would understand that…but let’s just say Hitler…after all, maybe you can relate it to Geroge Bush. Wow does that accomplish something.
You need to read more carefully. The comparison — not mine — is to Hitler ** in 1932**. Do you know what he was doing then? Furthermore, the statement is about being mainstream like Hitler. Are you aware of the number of Germans who voted for Hitler in free elections?
Have a look here:
Hillary Clinton’s “paranoia of a right-wing conspiracy”?
Funny, I thought she turned out to be right about that.
What about Arnold? Is he indecent?