Apologies, blog readers, but this announcement is for UM Law 1L & 2L students only:
I would like to hire two part-time summer research assistants. The hours are negotiable, but likely would be in the 10-30 hours per week range. It would be best if you could start very soon after exams finish.
Job one involves helping me with my research. It requires someone who can write clearly, is well-organized, and who is really good at finding things in libraries and on the Internet. If you happen to have some web or programming skills (some or all of HTML, MySQL, Perl, Debian), that would be a very big plus but it is not in any way a requirement.
Job two involves helping me manage and edit JOTWELL (see jotwell.com). It requires excellent organizational skill plus some editing skills. Some interest in designing a PR campaign might also be of value. Jotwell uses WordPress to publish, but it is easy to learn, so no experience needed.
In both cases the hourly pay of $ 13 is set by the university, and is not as high as you deserve, but the work is sometimes interesting.
If you are interested, please send me an e-mail with the words RESEARCH ASSISTANT (in all caps) followed by your name in the subject line. In the email tell me:
- which job you are applying for (“both” is a perfectly acceptable answer)
- how many hours you’d ideally like to work per week and what other jobs/courses you have planned for the summer (if any),
- when you are free to start, and whether you have vacation plans (no problem if you are planning to take a week or two off during the summer)
- your phone number and email address.
- whether it is OK for me to share your application with other interested faculty members who might also want a summer research assistant.
Please attach the following to your email:
1. A copy of your resume (c.v.),
2. A short writing sample (non-legal is preferred — in any case, please don’t send your LCOMM memo),
3. A transcript (need not be an official copy).
(You might also mention that you saw the ad here. Can’t hurt.)